Monday, July 9, 2007

On Nolan

Nolan has been an interesting kid since the beginning. The very beginning of him was... a surprise. The having of him was... a struggle. The raising of him, I think, will be something of a miracle. - He's my little introvert with the strength of Bam Bam from the Flinstones. He is quite strong. But he just can't stay upright. This poor kid inheritted his mother's sense of balance. I feel quite sorry for him. - My mom said that she couldn't take me anywhere without bandaids. I fell down ALL of the time. - Now I know how she felt.

I call him my little introvert because he'd rather be at home, in his room or at his table, by himself. He plays with Kevin but not like you'd expect. I'll have to write about that another time. And he definitely has his opinion about things but he is also very loving and very eager to please.

Nolan didn't walk until he was 18 months... he could have, he just didn't care to. He doesn't drink juice... he'd rather be thirsty. He does not like it when his room, or the house for that matter, are messy. And he does not like crowds. Church on Sunday is about all he has ever been able to handle without getting agitated or weepy. And even now he usually snuggles into me and buries himself as much as possible under his Eeyore.

I just don't know what to make of him. And I am not sure if I am doing the best job of mothering him. He is so very different from Kevin... I try not to treat them differently but they are so very different in personality...

I try to think of what they are like... fire and ice or North and South... but that doesn't even do them justice. They are just different... like... an oak tree and a V-6 engine.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I used to have a painfully shy child who went to kindergarten and came back a wild woman! She's still an introvert at heart, I'm sure, but now that she's found her comfy places at PUMP and home, we're seeing a new side to her. It will be interesting for you to see what stages both boys go through in the years ahead.