Friday, November 30, 2007

Weather Man

About a year ago we were in the car headed somewhere and Kevin says, "Mom, I would really like some snow." It sounded like an order at a fast food joint. He was very matter of fact and when I didn't say anything he said again, "Mom, I really want it to snow." I responded with the standard parent answer, "Well, when it's cold enough and the rain freezes then maybe we'll get some snow." This wasn't good enough for Kevin and so he says, "No, Mom, I really want some snow." I responded at this point with an equal level of attitude, "Kevin, I do not control the weather." ~ He had to think about that for a second and then said, "You don't?"



And so began our discussion (again) about how God is in control of all things... though I can see how this might be news to a little kid whose life is dictated to him by people twice his size. So we got that straightened out.



Then a couple of weeks ago as we were travelling through heavy rain for a family outing Kevin seemed quiet and sort of sad. Logan asked Kevin about what was bothering him and he told us that he needed some sunshine. We talked to him about praying to God and letting him know about his desire for some rays. We also talked about how God knows what the earth needs so if it keeps raininng it doesn't mean that God isn't there or isn't listening, its that God knows just how to take care of his world and so we should be patient. So he prayed. And as we got to our destination we were struck with sunlight. It stayed sunny until we were on our way home.



hm...



Last week as we were again in the car on the way to a play date I heard from the back seat, "God, could you please make it sunny? We need some sunshine." I didn't say anything, but I was proud of him. And as we played strong rays of sunshine shone through the windows. - He noticed.



And I'm not saying that God gives Kevin the weather he wants when he wants it. That would be silly, right? Well, now you can read an accurate account of the most recent weather event in our little family from my friend Kristi's blog. CLICK HERE

No comments: